The Neural Navigator v3.0 is a complete rework from the ground up, and has been underway for over a year now. It was released recently for research use, so we thought it was wise to publish an update. Under the hood, almost everything has been rewritten, but we tried to do our best to keep the look and feel of this version similar to the popular v2.X software that is in use in many universities and hospitals around the world. For the main new features, see below.
One of the main technical changes is the use of a new platform technology: QT. This guarantees a modern look and feel and easy deployment. Some of the other technical improvements are parallel computing and multithreading, which is most visible in the fact that during image processing or loading, during hardware initialization or other longer processes, the user interface stays responsive and one can keep working. Also the general look and feel is more modern and responsive.
Existing customers can receive this update free of charge! Just use your customer login in the 'Support' menu and go to downloads.
New features and functional improvements include:
- an improved workflow starting directly from DICOM data exported by the MRI scanner, all the way up to 3D brain segmentation and neuronavigation. No need to use any 3rd party software.
- built-in easy to use semiautomatic 3D brain segmentation, allowing users to create and visualize the participant's individual brain surface in a realistic 3D fashion (including 3D gyri and sulci), starting from raw DICOM data of a T1 weighted structural MRI scan. Automatic brain segmentation can be perfected by easy 3D manipulation of a blue transparent automatically generated brainmask. See the picture on the right.
- improved and simplified TMS coil calibration
- 3 TMS coil models available, among which CAD models from actual coils. The coils can be used and calibrated independently (see picture).
- many more small improvements
Version 3.1, scheduled to be released late 2017, will see many more usability improvements and the integration of different signals and modalities into neuronavigation.
Please note: version 3.0 is at the moment only available for investigational use. For clinical use in the European Union, we expect CE certification later this year.