The NeNa product package contains the necessities to perform image guided stereotaxy, and some additional options:
- DVD with the Neural Navigator software.
- The BrainTRAKTM position tracker device and magnetic field transmitter, including 4 tracking probes.
- A table mounted head support that is compatible with the Neural Navigator. It does not distort the magnetic field used for position tracking.
- A plastic hand-held pointer containing a tracker probe for navigating to the intended brain area.
- A plastic tracker probe socket that can be attached to the TMS coil, allowing realtime coil tracking. Sockets are available for TMS coils from Neurosoft, MagStim and MagVenture.
- An elaborate user manual including setup, step-by-step introduction to using the Neural Navigator and pointers on MRI image processing.
- A sturdy suitcase with compartments fitting all components, allowing easy and safe transportation or storage.
We can provide you with a reliable TMS device well compatible with the Neural Navigator through one of our partner companies. In case you already have a TMS device: our neural navigator is working well in combination with the TMS devices commonly found in most TMS labs. One only needs to calibrate the TMS coil with our software and tracker device in order to allow for real time coil tracking. This is needed only once during setup of our navigation system and can be performed by our trainers.
Optional (additional fees apply):
- A PC especially suited for the Neural Navigator package.
- Full day of on-site installation and training by our experienced support staff.
- Support on (f)MRI image processing for use with neuronavigation in SPM.
- A reclining TMS chair for patient treatment.
Features & performance
The Neural Navigator can target brain areas indicated on an MRI scan with a precision of 4 mm or better. It can load and visualize individual MRI scans, tissue maps (e.g. gray matter), fMRI activation and craniotopic facial markers. One can navigate the TMS coil to the target in the brain in real time while looking at the screen. On the screen a 3D rendering of the TMS coil and brain are shown exactly at the position and orientation where they currently are. A yellow beam is shown at the center of the TMS pulse, extending into the brain. This allows one to see exactly which area is targeted. Pre-set neuroanatomical target markers can be pinpointed accurately. The virtual camera can also be linked to the TMS coil center to obtain a birds-eye view of the brain as if you are looking down along the TMS pulse, with a cross-hair to aid targeting of the brain region of interest. Furthermore, The Neural Navigator contains tools to judge navigation accuracy, make suggestions how to improve it based on real-time simulations, test the 3D digitizing hardware, and many more.
The minimal requirements for a PC to be able to run the Neural Navigator software:
- Windows 7 (Windows 10 preferred)
- Minimal 4 GB or RAM 2GHz processor or better
- NVIDIA or Intel Graphics card with up-to-date 3D acceleration (NVIDIA GeForce FX or comparable)
- Sufficiently large harddrive for MRI data (for one subject one typically requires ~20 MB)
Supported MRI data types
The Neural Navigator is fully compatible with the Nifti 1.0 data format that is prominent in MRI research. Nifti files, appearing with .nii and .img/.hdr extensions, is the standard data format used in SPM5 and SPM8. The software can also read the older Analyze format used in SPM99 and SPM2. The software also reads Nifti data from more recent AFNI, FSL and Brainvoyager versions. DICOM data can also be read directly by the Neural Navigator. We advise the use of the Nifti format for optimal compatibility between image modalities.
Position tracking hardware
The BrainTRAKTM position tracking device digitizes 3D position and orientation of the hand held pointer and the TMS coil at a rate of 100Hz.
It adopts a weak pulsed DC magnetic field generated by a small emitter, and measures magnetic induction in the sensors located inside the pointer and TMS coil socket to determine location and orientation. The spatial accuracy is better than 1 mm within a range of ~70cm from the transmitter. The tracking hardware operates in a stand-alone case, with its own power supply, and connects to the PC or laptop through a USB port. The system can be used in combination with a laptop, greatly increasing mobility. The complete navigation setup fits in a regular sized suitcase, which makes it ideal for bed-side investigations.
- Electrical: Power line 100 - 240V ~ 50/60 Hz; input power 50 VA. Type: Class I Device with Type B Applied Part (probes). Installation class 2, Safety class 1.
- Operation environment: tempeature 5°C to 40°C; between 10% and 90% non-condensing humidity; Maximum allowed height 2000m, maximum air pressure 79.4 kPa.
- Storage/transportation conditions: ambient air temperature between -40 °C and 70 °C in environments with a relative humidity between 5% and 95%.
- IP class: IP20. MDD Device class: IIa
- The Neural Navigator is CE certified as a class IIa medical device in the European Union, and InMetro and ANVISA certified in Brazil. In these regions the Neural Navigator can be used for clinical purposes, and outside those regions for investigational purposes.
- The Neural Navigator as an electrical medical device is IEC60601-1 3rd edition (Electrical Safety) and IEC60601-1-2 3rd edition (electromagnetic compatibility) compliant.
- RoHS and WEEE compliant.